Home Catalog SearchPrivacy PolicyAsk a LibrarianWhat Should We Buy?Contact Us

Pickaway County District Public Library
Library NewsDirector's Notes

News Releases
Director's Notes
Popular Titles
Job Opportunities

Pickaway County District Public Library

Geek The Library Generates Conversations

 

Residents of Pickaway County are adding a new verb to their vocabulary—‘geek.’ The Pickaway County District Public Library is participating in Geek The Library, a community‐based public awareness campaign.

 

Geek the Library encourages the public to talk about what they ‘geek’ and illustrates the fact that everyone is passionate about something—and the library supports them all, whether it’s engineering, superheroes or art.

 

In Pickaway County, the awareness campaign features photos on Facebook, visits with local schools, displays within the library and photographs of Pickaway County businesses.

 

This public awareness campaign hopes to start a conversation about library funding to inspire more people to take personal responsibility for keeping their local public libraries vital in their communities.

 

While many people have visited their public library and understand its important role in their community, many do not know that funding for libraries can be influenced by community members.

 

Funding for the Pickaway County District Public Library declined sharply in 2009 and has remained relatively flat for the past five years. In 2014, 93 percent of library revenue came from state funding. The remaining 7 percent was generated through donations, collection of fees and investment interest.

 

The campaign Web site, www.geekthelibrary.org, provides information about how people can get active and support their local library.

 

Thank you for your interest in the library!

Jim Guenther

Library Director



Monday, February 23, 2015
Pickaway County District Public Library
© 2003 PICKAWAY COUNTY DISTRICT PUBLIC LIBRARY